Mayors extend Liberation Carnival another week - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

Mayors extend Liberation Carnival another week

Posted: Updated:

by Leah Eclavea

Guam - If you still haven't been down to the carnival grounds at Paseo, there's still time - the Mayors Council of Guam has extended the event. The Liberation Carnival will stay open for another week as MCOG Executive Director Angel Sablan says the lack of parking and rainy weather resulted in fewer residents attending the annual event.

It wasn't an easy summer for the Liberation Carnival Committee. After thousands of dollars went into making the event possible, Sablan says they didn't get as much of crowd as with past events. "You'll see some people come just for the entertainment, watch and when it's over they go buy food and then go home. The fact that they do not stay long at the carnival or they do stay and they don't spend any money shows that they are being more frugal," he said.

Sablan says the challenge has forced them to extend the carnival another week. The original closing date was last night - July 24. There's a clause in the proclamation that states due to unforeseen circumstances and extension will be granted, Sablan does say that the extension will cost up to $5,000 per week.

Sablan says the added expense goes towards items such as utility cost. So far he says they did make around $400,000, but that's before deducting expenses for other services such as entertainment and security. He is confident the extra time will allow them to make the revenue they need to get by, noting, "We still look at being in the black when this is all over meaning that there will be money for that MCOG and for the first lade of Guam for their charitable efforts."

He does say they are currently discussing the possibility of relocating the carnival next year, either to Tiyan or at the old site near Two Lovers Point. He is also working with the vendors to bring bigger rides to attract more in the community. In the meantime, the carnival will continue nightly at in Hagatna until August 1.

  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • Defendant in church sex lawsuit fires back

    Defendant in church sex lawsuit fires back

    One named defendant in the clergy sexual abuse lawsuits fires back. Filed today in the District Court of Guam, Joe R. San Agustin, also known as Father Andrew San Agustin, responds to allegations of clergy sexual abuse and agrees for a request for a jury trial. If you recall, the former priest was named in a civil complaint filed by B.T., who was only identified by her initials to protect her identity. B.T. alleged San Agustin brought her and her sister to Guam for vacation. He all...More >>
    One named defendant in the clergy sexual abuse lawsuits fires back. Filed today in the District Court of Guam, Joe R. San Agustin, also known as Father Andrew San Agustin, responds to allegations of clergy sexual abuse and agrees for a request for a jury trial. If you recall, the former priest was named in a civil complaint filed by B.T., who was only identified by her initials to protect her identity. B.T. alleged San Agustin brought her and her sister to Guam for vacation. He all...More >>
  • GPA working on keeping costs down

    GPA working on keeping costs down

    The cutbacks keep on coming, as the Guam Power Authority has been working on its cost containment measures. GPA assistant general manager Melinda Camacho says it's been quite the challenge with the manpower they currently have. A plus, however, is they are able to keep the lights on. "We've maintained our overtime below our budget, we have not hired personnel. So as we even in generation, as retirees just through natural attrition, they are out there. So we are not hiring and we...More >>
    The cutbacks keep on coming, as the Guam Power Authority has been working on its cost containment measures. GPA assistant general manager Melinda Camacho says it's been quite the challenge with the manpower they currently have. A plus, however, is they are able to keep the lights on. "We've maintained our overtime below our budget, we have not hired personnel. So as we even in generation, as retirees just through natural attrition, they are out there. So we are not hiring and we...More >>
  • Warrants issued after Jason Ortiola and Roger Balicha no-show

    Warrants issued after Jason Ortiola and Roger Balicha no-show

    Bench warrants have been issued for two men arrested on drug charges. Jason Ortiola and Roger Balicha were no-shows to their Wednesday hearing. They have also repeatedly failed to report to probation for regular check-ins, as ordered by the court. Ortiola, we should note, is a former GPD officer who was fired from the force and sentenced in federal court for selling the drug "ICE" while in uniform with his duty weapon. Bail was set at $5,000 each for Ortiola and Balicha. C...More >>
    Bench warrants have been issued for two men arrested on drug charges. Jason Ortiola and Roger Balicha were no-shows to their Wednesday hearing. They have also repeatedly failed to report to probation for regular check-ins, as ordered by the court. Ortiola, we should note, is a former GPD officer who was fired from the force and sentenced in federal court for selling the drug "ICE" while in uniform with his duty weapon. Bail was set at $5,000 each for Ortiola and Balicha. C...More >>
Powered by Frankly