Officials say dependents not coming to Guam - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

Officials say dependents not coming to Guam

Posted: Updated:

by Mindy Aguon

Guam - U.S. Forces Japan is clarifying statements made to KUAM last week about military dependents who are voluntarily departing from Japan. Sergeant Major Stephen Valley said dependents from Yokota Air Force Base in Japan began leaving the base this weekend, some returning to the U.S. Mainland.  

He said the dependents will not be coming to Guam.

According to the Navy's website, the Navy will provide entitlements and allowances to those eligible for their transfer to an approved safe haven, which the State Department has designated as anywhere in the continental United States. 

KUAM News is aware though of some military dependents who have flown to Guam.

Guam USO Director Leigh Leilani Graham says they stand ready to help, telling KUAM News, "We had some very young dependents who were in on Friday. We were helping to get them coordinated to send them to their family in Palau. We had about 25 folks who have been assisted through the Coast Guard.

"We all know there are also quite a few Navy members now in Tumon. We don't know the numbers of those who are coming but we just stand ready and prepared to support our Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines and our Guam National Guard to give them any help that we can provide."

  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • American Red Cross Red Ball celebrates "Arc Angels"

    American Red Cross Red Ball celebrates "Arc Angels"

    The crowd showing up for the annual Red Ball event held at the Dusit Thani Resort in Tumon on Saturday.This year's theme was Arc Angels, celebrating the angels in our community. Attendees coming together to celebrate and support all that the American RedMore >>
    The crowd showing up for the annual Red Ball event held at the Dusit Thani Resort in Tumon on Saturday.This year's theme was Arc Angels, celebrating the angels in our community. Attendees coming together to celebrate and support all that the American Red More >>
  • Calvo officially requests for disaster declaration

    Calvo officially requests for disaster declaration

    Gov. Eddie Calvo has sent his official request to President Donald Trump for a major disaster declaration. He is asking that the entire territory be made eligible for public assistance, individual assistance and the Hazard mitigation grant program. CalvoMore >>
    Gov. Eddie Calvo has sent his official request to President Donald Trump for a major disaster declaration. He is asking that the entire territory be made eligible for public assistance, individual assistance and the Hazard mitigation grant program. Calvo More >>
  • Trial pushed back again for prison murder

    Trial pushed back again for prison murder

    Trial is pushed back yet again for the defendants charged in connection to last year's murder at the Department of Corrections. As reported, Edrite "Manson" Isar was found dead in his jail cell at the Hagatna lockup. Though it was initially believed he diMore >>
    Trial is pushed back yet again for the defendants charged in connection to last year's murder at the Department of Corrections. As reported, Edrite "Manson" Isar was found dead in his jail cell at the Hagatna lockup. Though it was initially believed he diMore >>
Powered by Frankly