Blas asks for help in removing provision - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

Blas asks for help in removing provision

Posted: Updated:

by Mindy Aguon

Guam - Senator Frank Blas, Jr. is offended by comments that were made during yesterday's hearing by the House Armed Services Subcommittee on Readiness. He's specifically taken issue with comments made by Assistant Secretary of the Navy Jackalyne Pfannenstiel's reasoning for why the Department of Defense is so adamant about having a voting member on the Consolidated Commission on Utilities. 

Blas says Pfannenstiel testified that DoD wants assurances that the operational standards are met for the military as far as water and power are concerned. "I think their reasoning is greatly offensive actually and I'm asking for the assistant secretary's assistance basically in reviewing that provision and not making the removal of that provision a negotiable part of this whole process," he told KUAM News. "That's just one more thing we're going to have to negotiate out."

Blas sent letters to Pfannenstiel and Undersecretary Robert Work, asking for specific details about how that specific provision was included in the National Defense Authorization Act. The Republican lawmaker has said he believes that the congresswoman was well aware of the amendment since its inclusion since May of 2010.

  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • American Red Cross Red Ball celebrates "Arc Angels"

    American Red Cross Red Ball celebrates "Arc Angels"

    The crowd showing up for the annual Red Ball event held at the Dusit Thani Resort in Tumon on Saturday.This year's theme was Arc Angels, celebrating the angels in our community. Attendees coming together to celebrate and support all that the American RedMore >>
    The crowd showing up for the annual Red Ball event held at the Dusit Thani Resort in Tumon on Saturday.This year's theme was Arc Angels, celebrating the angels in our community. Attendees coming together to celebrate and support all that the American Red More >>
  • Calvo officially requests for disaster declaration

    Calvo officially requests for disaster declaration

    Gov. Eddie Calvo has sent his official request to President Donald Trump for a major disaster declaration. He is asking that the entire territory be made eligible for public assistance, individual assistance and the Hazard mitigation grant program. CalvoMore >>
    Gov. Eddie Calvo has sent his official request to President Donald Trump for a major disaster declaration. He is asking that the entire territory be made eligible for public assistance, individual assistance and the Hazard mitigation grant program. Calvo More >>
  • Trial pushed back again for prison murder

    Trial pushed back again for prison murder

    Trial is pushed back yet again for the defendants charged in connection to last year's murder at the Department of Corrections. As reported, Edrite "Manson" Isar was found dead in his jail cell at the Hagatna lockup. Though it was initially believed he diMore >>
    Trial is pushed back yet again for the defendants charged in connection to last year's murder at the Department of Corrections. As reported, Edrite "Manson" Isar was found dead in his jail cell at the Hagatna lockup. Though it was initially believed he diMore >>
Powered by Frankly