EPA, GWA ordered to develop timelines - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

EPA, GWA ordered to develop timelines

Posted: Updated:

by Mindy Aguon

Guam - The Guam Waterworks Authority and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency have one week to work out their differences and come up with timelines for projects listed in the stipulated order. While the feds want GW to proceed immediately on hundreds of millions of dollars worth of projects, GWA and the Consolidated Commission on Utilities are trying to strike a balance, as it could mean substantial increases to water bills. 

Patience is wearing thin for the USEPA. The list of projects to bring GWA into compliance with the Clean Water Drinking Act means it will cost ratepayers more for water.  But how much more and how soon those increases will take effect remains to be seen. 

CCU chairman Simon Sanchez told KUAM News, "We can't price water out of the reach of the people. The cure can't kill the patient. So we hope we can strike that balance with EPA. It's all important, but the people of Guam can only afford so much."

Sanchez says GWA is more comfortable with longer timelines to allow for phased rate increases. But Attorney Robert Mullaney made it clear via videoconference this morning that coming to an agreement with the utility agency on the timelines for the remaining projects that include assessing reservoirs, repairing water tanks, and refurbishing the northern and Hagatna Wastewater Treatment Plants, has yielded virtually nothing in the last year. In fact, he urged the court to use her authority to enforce timelines USEPA proposed back in December.

Mullaney added that the USEPA is so fed up it is ready to begin imposing stipulated penalties for GWA's continued non-compliance. GWA on the other hand feels the timelines are unreasonable and unrealistic when balanced with the affordability of water. 

Sanchez told the court he doesn't want customers to be forced to pay $200 a month for water. "When you take all the things that EPA wants as a priority and you add it up, it's becoming a very big number and our people can only afford so much," he stated. "And as we've planned from the very beginning, we've spread out borrowing $200 million over five or six years; we've spread out raising rates 70% over 8 years to try to keep it affordable."

The parties agreed to meet to duke it out and try to settle the timelines this Friday before they appear before District Court Magistrate Judge Joaquin Manibusan next week Wednesday for a settlement conference.  How negotiations go later this week will determine how much more ratepayers will be forced to pay for the improvements to Guam's water and wastewater infrastructure.

  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • More judges disqualified from hearing Tenorio case

    More judges disqualified from hearing Tenorio case

    Three more judges are out - saying they can't hear the criminal case against Lt. Gov. Ray Tenorio. According to Judge Maria Cenzon, she worked as legal counsel for the Calvo-Tenorio Administration before she took the bench. For Judge Michael Bordallo, it'More >>
    Three more judges are out - saying they can't hear the criminal case against Lt. Gov. Ray Tenorio. According to Judge Maria Cenzon, she worked as legal counsel for the Calvo-Tenorio Administration before she took the bench. For Judge Michael Bordallo, it'More >>
  • Procurement protest could mean public schools go uncleaned

    Procurement protest could mean public schools go uncleaned

    A protest filed with the OPA, regarding the procurement for custodial services, threatens the cleaning of GDOE schools. At a Guam Education Board Meeting, the Superintendent says he's requesting the Governor exercise emergency procurement authority to allMore >>
    A protest filed with the OPA, regarding the procurement for custodial services, threatens the cleaning of GDOE schools. At a Guam Education Board Meeting, the Superintendent says he's requesting the Governor exercise emergency procurement authority to allMore >>
  • Man, 25, charged with sexual assault of 6-year-old

    Man, 25, charged with sexual assault of 6-year-old

    A 25 year old man is accused of sexually assaulting a six year old girl known to him. Zachariah Pedro Concepcion is charged with second degree criminal sexual conduct along with a special allegation of vulnerable victim. Court documents state the suspect More >>
    A 25 year old man is accused of sexually assaulting a six year old girl known to him. Zachariah Pedro Concepcion is charged with second degree criminal sexual conduct along with a special allegation of vulnerable victim. Court documents state the suspect More >>
Powered by Frankly