Abandoned Vehicle Program delays discussed - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

Abandoned Vehicle Program delays discussed

Posted: Updated:

by Nick Delgado

Guam - The Mayor's Council of Guam has been hit with another delay for the Abandoned Vehicle and White Goods Cleanup Program. Council Executive Director Angel Sablan says the cleanup effort for Yona is behind schedule and they hope to begin sometime next week. The problem he says is the rate the funding is being spent.

Sablan says they are trying to identify a more cost efficient way to cleanup the junk. He adds there are concerns of haulers taking advantage of the effort and possibly double charging the mayor's. He says they are reviewing the issue, noting, "Right now there's different haulers out there that are pulling cars in the villages for free and here we are paying a good sum of money, $120,000 we already spent in Barrigada just for the month that they are hauling out vehicles and white goods and that's a big concern to us," he explained.

Sablan says a cost containment plan is needed, as they estimate that more than $2 million will be spent just for hauling the junk once they hit all 19 villages.

  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • American Red Cross Red Ball celebrates "Arc Angels"

    American Red Cross Red Ball celebrates "Arc Angels"

    The crowd showing up for the annual Red Ball event held at the Dusit Thani Resort in Tumon on Saturday.This year's theme was Arc Angels, celebrating the angels in our community. Attendees coming together to celebrate and support all that the American RedMore >>
    The crowd showing up for the annual Red Ball event held at the Dusit Thani Resort in Tumon on Saturday.This year's theme was Arc Angels, celebrating the angels in our community. Attendees coming together to celebrate and support all that the American Red More >>
  • Calvo officially requests for disaster declaration

    Calvo officially requests for disaster declaration

    Gov. Eddie Calvo has sent his official request to President Donald Trump for a major disaster declaration. He is asking that the entire territory be made eligible for public assistance, individual assistance and the Hazard mitigation grant program. CalvoMore >>
    Gov. Eddie Calvo has sent his official request to President Donald Trump for a major disaster declaration. He is asking that the entire territory be made eligible for public assistance, individual assistance and the Hazard mitigation grant program. Calvo More >>
  • Trial pushed back again for prison murder

    Trial pushed back again for prison murder

    Trial is pushed back yet again for the defendants charged in connection to last year's murder at the Department of Corrections. As reported, Edrite "Manson" Isar was found dead in his jail cell at the Hagatna lockup. Though it was initially believed he diMore >>
    Trial is pushed back yet again for the defendants charged in connection to last year's murder at the Department of Corrections. As reported, Edrite "Manson" Isar was found dead in his jail cell at the Hagatna lockup. Though it was initially believed he diMore >>
Powered by Frankly