Visitor arrivals increase by the thousands - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

Visitor arrivals increase by the thousands

Posted: Updated:

by Michele Catahay

Guam - Visitor arrivals have gone up by the thousands, compared to numbers released last year. According to Guam Visitors Bureau Deputy General Manager Ernie Galito, this time of year, the numbers have increased by five thousand compared to last year.

He says the Korean and Japanese markets have increased over the last few months, telling KUAM News, "It looks like we're going to be about 14 percent ahead of calendar year in 2010 and about 12 percent higher than the fiscal year in 2010...so about 8 percent overall, but double-digits from Korea - almost 35 to 65 percent increase and Japan had a modest increase for about 4 to 5 percent."

Last year, the island suffered from a decline in tourism numbers due to Swine Flu. Galito says with the numbers increasing at a good pace, they're looking forward to more arrivals and visitors staying longer for the next several months.

  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • American Red Cross Red Ball celebrates "Arc Angels"

    American Red Cross Red Ball celebrates "Arc Angels"

    The crowd showing up for the annual Red Ball event held at the Dusit Thani Resort in Tumon on Saturday.This year's theme was Arc Angels, celebrating the angels in our community. Attendees coming together to celebrate and support all that the American RedMore >>
    The crowd showing up for the annual Red Ball event held at the Dusit Thani Resort in Tumon on Saturday.This year's theme was Arc Angels, celebrating the angels in our community. Attendees coming together to celebrate and support all that the American Red More >>
  • Calvo officially requests for disaster declaration

    Calvo officially requests for disaster declaration

    Gov. Eddie Calvo has sent his official request to President Donald Trump for a major disaster declaration. He is asking that the entire territory be made eligible for public assistance, individual assistance and the Hazard mitigation grant program. CalvoMore >>
    Gov. Eddie Calvo has sent his official request to President Donald Trump for a major disaster declaration. He is asking that the entire territory be made eligible for public assistance, individual assistance and the Hazard mitigation grant program. Calvo More >>
  • Trial pushed back again for prison murder

    Trial pushed back again for prison murder

    Trial is pushed back yet again for the defendants charged in connection to last year's murder at the Department of Corrections. As reported, Edrite "Manson" Isar was found dead in his jail cell at the Hagatna lockup. Though it was initially believed he diMore >>
    Trial is pushed back yet again for the defendants charged in connection to last year's murder at the Department of Corrections. As reported, Edrite "Manson" Isar was found dead in his jail cell at the Hagatna lockup. Though it was initially believed he diMore >>
Powered by Frankly