Man held on bail for severely beating toddler - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

Man held on bail for severely beating toddler

Posted: Updated:

by Mindy Aguon

Guam - A 3-year-old boy had to get surgery after he was brutally beaten by a man known to him. According to the magistrate's complaint, the toddler received bruising to his stomach and the abuse was so severe that a surgeon noticed that the child's intestine and other portions of his stomach had been torn. 

The child also had bruising and swelling on his forehead, his eyes, and leg.  27-year-old Vanderray Barcinas Mundo was arrested and charged with family violence, child abuse and aggravated assault. According to court documents, the boy's mother told police that she had observed injuries on her son on three prior occasions.  Police have not charged the child's mother with any crimes yet. She told police that Mundo would babysit her son when she went to work.

Child Protective Services was called to investigate a child abuse complaint after the toddler was admitted in the Intensive Care Unit at the Guam Memorial Hospital. The Guam Police Department's Criminal Investigation Unit had to wait two months for the child to recover from his injuries before they could conduct an interview to arrest Mundo.

Mundo is being held on $15,000 bail.  He is scheduled to appear before Presiding Judge Alberto Lamorena on November 19.

  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • Pair plead guilty in food stamp scam

    Pair plead guilty in food stamp scam

    A pair accused of nearly half a million in food stamp fraud pleaded guilty in the District Court of Guam. Singeo Singenes, who owned and operated S & I Mart in Barrigada, as well as Innocencia Esirom pleaded guilty to unauthorized use of food stamp benefiMore >>
    A pair accused of nearly half a million in food stamp fraud pleaded guilty in the District Court of Guam. Singeo Singenes, who owned and operated S & I Mart in Barrigada, as well as Innocencia Esirom pleaded guilty to unauthorized use of food stamp benefiMore >>
  • Southern villages brace for storm

    Southern villages brace for storm

    As the strongest winds are expected to strike the southernmost part of the island, those villages are preparing for the brunt of the storm. Guam Power Authority crews were spotted cutting trees too close to power lines, and down in Merizo, an excavator anMore >>
    As the strongest winds are expected to strike the southernmost part of the island, those villages are preparing for the brunt of the storm. Guam Power Authority crews were spotted cutting trees too close to power lines, and down in Merizo, an excavator anMore >>
  • Keeping visitors safe, busy through the storm

    Keeping visitors safe, busy through the storm

    By Bella Borja for KUAM News Despite strong winds blowing through and gray skies above, there were plenty of people spending pre-typhoon time down in Tumon Bay and in the water. And tourist district is also doing whatever possible to protect the visitors More >>
    By Bella Borja for KUAM News Despite strong winds blowing through and gray skies above, there were plenty of people spending pre-typhoon time down in Tumon Bay and in the water. And tourist district is also doing whatever possible to protect the visitors More >>
Powered by Frankly