Guam - When the final environmental impact statement is released, the We Are Guahan organization is hoping the military will change its mind and open it up for public comments. According to we are member Melvin Won Pat Borja, although the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency rules does not require hearings to be held, the extensive nature of the impacts proposed make the need for hearings obvious.
"I think we can all agree that magnitude of this move its going to rock our island," said Borja. "Any move this large will never leave the landscape unchanged, so, you know there's various impacts that effect us socially, economically culturally and so because of the magnitude of this move we feel the people of Guam deserve the opportunity to have a thorough process in the final just as they did in the draft."
Won Pat added that it appears that the Department of Defense still intends to use Pagat as a firing range and dredge Apra Harbor, amongst other changes they still intend to make. He added in an announcement last week, the DoD stated they would not be relocating the promised command post-military leaders and commanders - from Okinawa to Guam, but instead 8,600 combat troops.
Borja says this change alone should make it clear that new hearings - if not a new draft - is necessary. The final draft EIS is set to be released on July 23.