by Mindy Aguon
Guam - The Port Authority of Guam gave a briefing to lawmakers Tuesday night on the progress they've made on trying to acquire money for its modernization efforts. Port Chief Planner Dottie Harris told the committee that the agency is still waiting on the Senate to make a decision on transferring $50 million from Department of Defense funds to the Maritime Administration.
While officials anticipate an answer before the end of the fiscal year, they also have $53.5 million made available from the USDA. Harris added that phase one modernization efforts currently do not include the acquisition of two gantry cranes, but port officials are working to add that to the list.
She said, "We still have the challenge of funding where the funding will come from for the acquisition of those cranes. Last month the board approved the procurement process for the acquisition of those new cranes and they also allowed for proposals during the bid process for us to consider the possibility of considering refurbished cranes as well. So it will be for new cranes and refurbished cranes."
The Port was denied a $50 million dollar TIGER grant award. To date, the agency has received $8.4 million in grant funding and has spent $2.3 million of its own funds for phase one of the modernization plan.