by Nick Delgado
Guam - The Guam Fire Department believes a fire that broke out at a home along Batulo Road earlier this week in Dededo was accidental. GFD Spokesperson Joey San Nicolas says the agency is classifying the structure fire as "accidental, electrical in nature".
He says the all-wood home was constructed below standards and did not meet fire codes. 39-year-old Debrah Ann Rivera was found dead outside the main structure near the exit of the outside kitchen/laundry area on a steep stairway, having died from smoke inhalation.
Firefighters arrived to the home that was fully engulfed in flames within five minutes of receiving the 911 call. "This whole event is a testament to ensuring that your home is safe. Always do quarterly and biannual checks on your fire alarm systems, meaning your smoke detectors and any fire extinguishers you may have in the house," said San Nicolas.
The fire department can also do volunteer home inspections to ensure your home is safe from any fire hazards.