by Mindy Aguon
Guam - The Guam Fire Department believes a fire that broke out at a home along Batulo Road earlier this week in Dededo was an accident. GFD Spokesperson Joey San Nicolas says the agency is classifying the structure fire as "accidental, electrical in nature."
Fire officials say the structure was substandard full-wooden construction and that there was exposed wiring with no smoke alarms in place. 39-year-old Debrah Ann Rivera was found dead outside the main structure near the exit of the outside kitchen/laundry area on a steep stairway.
Officials believe she was trying to escape. An autopsy conducted on Wednesday confirmed Rivera died from smoke inhalation.
San Nicolas adds the fire department took no more than five minutes to get to the scene after they received the 911 call.