by Nick Delgado
Guam - If you were anywhere in Hagatna this afternoon, you may have noticed the smoke emitting from the Agana Detention Facility. According to DepCor director JB Palacios, buildup in the dryer ventilation system cause the lint to smolder. Detainees had to be evacuated to the basketball court until the area was secured by firefighters.
"There's just a little irony that the experts with the department of justice that came out, the fire safety experts that came out didn't catch these things. So I look at these as a blessing, and it brings to light these little things that were obviously overlooked by the experts. We're not blaming anybody this is our responsibility, like I told everybody this is our facility," he said.
According to the unit's manufacturer the system is to be cleaned every three months, Palacios says maintenance will now be performed once a month.